The interview with Andrey Bliznyuk – the new head of our plant
On September 8, 2017 after several unsuccessful attempts the State Property Fund of Ukraine still sold 100% of the shares of “Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant” PJSC. At the end of September the staff changes has been occurred at the enterprise. What we can wait for the largest and one of the oldest enterprises of Haivoron district in its new history is in the interview with the new General Director of “Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant” PJSC Andrey Bliznyuk.
Mr. Bliznyuk, the diesel locomotive repair plant for Haivoron inhabitants is more than a production infrastructure. Many destinies of the Haivoron families are connected with the enterprise founded in far 1897; the plant is an integral part of the history of our district. With what impressions and thoughts do you begin your work as the head of this enterprise?
– My impressions are ambiguous. On the one hand, the management of a large enterprise with significant capabilities, a friendly and hardworking team was entrusted to me, on the other hand, a full absence of production development, the critical need for the reconversion of workshops, the repair of machines and premises. I am convinced that if in previous years the works on repair and maintenance of equipment have been performed here, the enterprise would be successful and profitable. But we were ready for such circumstances. And we, carrying out after a technical analysis of equipment and an audit of the financial condition of the enterprise, are convinced that even now it is possible to restore the former high productivity of the plant, especially if the workshops are modernized and new production lines are put into operation. But for this, of course, we need significant material and human resources.
- Why Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant of all others? Does the fate of the “Aktan” (the plant which has been cut for scrap) await him?
– I want to say categorically that “Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant” PJSC is the promising enterprise, and we acquired it, because we understand how to realize this prospect. There are serious capacities here, which, if handled properly, can bring the great results. “Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant” PJSC will not repeat the fate of “Aktan” or the winery, but will work and develop.
- In what condition did you receive the plant as its head?
– I have to admit that we received the plant in a frankly stagnant state. Low labor productivity, outmoded equipment, ability to fulfill minimum orders, inability to participate in most tenders, dilapidated warehouses and workshops, the territory in a state of neglect, very low computer automation level in today’s IT progress, the staff dissatisfied with the situation – as thus we can describe the situation with which we have faced. But already today there are turns for the better. This is seen by the collective, and soon all the Haivoron residents will see.
- How, in general, did you meet the staff of the enterprise as the new leadership?
– Telling the truth, we were pleasantly surprised by the reaction of the staff. Usually everything new is cautiously perceived. But during the meeting with the team, personal conversations, we understood that people were tired of waiting for changes, they want to work. Therefore, they met us with the hope of the radical renovation of the plant.
By this time about a hundred people has been employed at the plant. How will the situation with the jobs be in the future?
– At once I would like to say that nobody is going to cut jobs. During meetings with the staff, we said that the rate of work would be escalated, the work would be increased, and people’s attitude is positive. The whole existing staff will work in the future. Now there is a recruitment of new employees of technical specialties, such as turners, milling machine operators, locksmiths, foundry hands. People have already begun to come to us. And it’s very good that among them there are those who worked here before. As the production is raised, the need for workers will grow, and we will invite people. Today, we are reviewing the possibilities of increasing the salaries of employees. The new high-quality work clothes for operating personnel were purchased.
- What priority tasks do you set for yourself as the newly appointed director? In which areas of the production process will you focus?
– Firstly, we need to repair the old equipment and to purchase the new one. Over the past week, it has already been possible to repair gear milling machines in the mechanical workshop. Secondly, it’s necessary the partial re-equipment of some workshops for the release of new products. Thirdly, we need to improve the personnel policy of the enterprise.
By the way, we have already taken up the improvement of the plant territory, although there are still not enough people for this work. We renewed the kitchen utensils in the works’ canteen. Here workers can eat at minimum prices; more than 50% of the cost of lunch is paid by the enterprise.
I think that the priority directions of the production process are the manufacture of rack wheels, gear rings of various modifications, heat exchangers.
- What are the plans to expand production capacity?
It is planned to restore the foundry, which will produce a wide range of products, including for some needs of the population of the district. The new generator has already been purchased for this workshop. We also want to restore joinery and woodworking production.
- You have recently come in our city, almost all the time you are busy with production issues, but, nevertheless, what are the impressions about Haivoron?
– My impressions are very positive. This is beautiful city with good people. During this short time I had time to get acquainted with many people and local traditions. I was pleasantly surprised by the celebration of the Haivoron Day with the scale of its organization, the number of participants and the interesting program. The wonderful chorus of veterans “Kalina nad Bugom” impressed me. However, I was disappointed by the fact that many veterans, the heroes of labor live almost on the edge of poverty, the workable young people leave their hometown in search of better opportunities. And this is an additional motivation for the restoration of the “Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant” PJSC. I am sure that with the development of the enterprise various delegations will come here again for the experience, for the establishing of cooperation, to see the new territory of success – our Haivoron Diesel Locomotive Repair Plant!
The interview was prepared by:
Valery NEZBZHITSKY ( “Haivoronskiye Vesti”)
Alexander Gorobets (“Haivoronsky Courier”)
Photo by Leonid MASLIKOV